Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Preparation before leaving

Before leaving for Haiti I deemed it fit to do some fund raising so I could be able to make the biggest impact possible on my first visit. My first fund raising activity was very simple, I went around to close friends and family and just asked for cash. I explained to people the problems and challenges the people of Haiti face daily and ask for people to donate however much they wanted. After explaining to people that most Haitians live off of less than $1 USD a day people were more than happy to help. I had been sick with the swine flu 2 weeks prior for leaving for Haiti but got better a week before I was set to leave. After fund raising for a week I was able to collect $120 USD. All of this money was spent on school supplies for Cap-Haitien Childrens Home, and I was able to donate $50 USD to the widows home.

I took pictures with most of the people who donated me money so when I arrived in Haiti I would be able to show the kids and people my friends who donated and made it possible for me to bring them all the supplies. I uploaded all the pictures of donaters onto my ipod and let the kids scroll through and have a look. The kids loved looking though the album.


My friends Greg, Kyle and Colt.

I would like to again thank all who donated: Dr. Greg Sutton, Dr. Linda Resse, Dr. Scott Barton, Dr. Doug Weirick, Dr. Phyllis Isaacs, Dr. Jamie Burns, Matt McGaha, Karen Smith, Erica Martin, Kyle, Greg, Colt, Randell, Jared, Gavin, Meredith, Kasi, Kami, Tyler, DeShanna, Trent, Wes, and Daniel.


All of the donated clothes I was able to bring to the orphanage.

All the school supplies and toiletry items I was able to bring. 75 toothbrushes, 25 tubes of toothpaste, rulers, protractor and compass sets, pens, and spiral note books.

I would like to also thank Kasi, Scotty, and Chandler for helping me pack all the donated items in my bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment