Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Welcome

Well I guess me creating this blog is very past due. This blog will detail my involvement in Haiti and fund raising activities I do here in the states. I am in no way a journalist or a professional writer but I'll try my best.(I am terrible at spelling and grammar but I'll try my best) This blog mainly is for my good friends who help me out in helping Haiti. It is important to me to show my friends how they have positively impacted the lives of Haitians. I am very thankful for all of their support!

I should start off by introducing myself, my name is Jean-Pierre Francis Valteau. I was born in Seattle, Washington and graduated high school in Phoenix, Arizona. I now live in Ada, Oklahoma and attend East Central University.

My family on my fathers side are French Creole. It has been explained to me by family members that my family lived in Haiti(then called St. Domingue) when it was controlled by the French and left to immigrated to New Orleans around 1820. My great great grandfathers name was Francis and he was a French merchant that sailed ships across the Atlantic. Great great gramps finally settled in St. Domingue and farmed tobacco for sometime before finally leaveing for New Orleans. My family is mulatto in complexion I have family members that are white, mulatto and black. I share a strong cultural connection with Haiti and its people and this is one of the many reasons for me traveling there to do humanitarian aid work.

I first traveled to Haiti in October of 2009 with members of Southwest Church of Christ. I have always wanted the opportunity to travel to Haiti because of my family and cultural connection. Shout out to my main man Tommy Paul for getting me on the trip and to David and Sarah Dirrum for letting me tag along.

On my first trip to Haiti I visited Cap-Haitien Childrens Home, a Center for Biblical Training, and Bethesda Widows Home. All of these places are located in Cap-Haitien, Haiti.



This is me and my two little friends Wengeline and Opba!

No comments:

Post a Comment