Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 14


Today started at about 7:15AM I woke up late and only had enough time to grab a few slices of bread for breakfast and then head to the van to make our 7:30AM departure time. This morning in Hinche was pretty overcast and it rained much of last night. We first headed to a few different shops in Hinche to grab some painting materials. After that we headed for the orphanage.

Today we started one of my least favorite activities, painting. We got in last night a high yellow paint called Yarbrough yellow for Port-au-Prince. We ordered basic yellow paint with our construction manager and this is what he sent us. Anyway we got started painting each room of the visitors quarters. We started first with the Fourier and then moved to the room i'll be staying in once we move into the visitors quarters. Our paint team included Dustin, Jenna, James, and I. James and Jenna had paint brushes and painted the borders of every room, while Dustin and I had the rollers and painted everything else. Painting isn’t much fun. Throw in the fact its extremely hot outside and even more hot inside the room your painting and you have four people in one room and it isn’t anymore fun than before.

After we finished painting our first visitors room we went on lunch break. Today's lunch for me was big because I didn’t eat breakfast. I had two tuna sandwiches, a can of pringles and a Pepsi. Not the healthiest thing in the world to eat but here in Haiti it will due. Its hard to explain the feeling of eating here: we don’t eat much and when we do eat it normally is the same thing, but I get excited every time. All the work we do through out the day and our meager diets don’t match up, but when ever I get a chance to eat anything I am extremely happy.

Even if it is the same tuna sandwich or slice of bread and nuttela I eat all the time. Food makes me happy. I kind of feel like a little kid because the hour before lunch or diner I usually don’t want to talk with anyone and am extremely irritable. Especially after working at the orphanage all day and waiting for our always late diner. Anyway lunch was fantastic and after eating I was in a better mood to paint. We painted two other visitor rooms and then after that called it a day. We just have two more rooms to finish tomorrow and we will be done with the painting aspect.Once done with painting we cleaned up and check on the electrical progress. All but one of our inverters worker properly and we have power in both the visitors quarters and administration buildings. After we sorted out the electrical business we headed back to the hotel.






When we got back to the hotel I took a shower or more like half a shower. The shower and water systems in each room run off rain water collected in reservoirs on top of each room. Obviously mine had run out after 5 minutes of showering so that was my shower for the day. I headed to diner about 4:15, 15minutes late but the food was just arriving. Diner was the same: tunariceandbeansfriesketcupcorn. After diner Dustin, James and I played cards for a while and headed back to our rooms for the night. Tomorrow is another 7:00AM wake up time so I decided to be in bed by 10PM and to not drink any wine being that waking up this morning with a huge head ace and not getting any breakfast wasn’t fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment