Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 15


Painting all day yesterday really wore me out so I woke up late today at about 7:10AM I quickly hurried to the breakfast area so see if I could get a rush order of spaghetti before we left. Of course after explaining to the breakfast lady in Creole that I needed a spaghetti order in ten minutes she laughed and I settled for a few slices of pineapple and the grabbed 4 slices of old bread for my lunch. We left about 7:30AM and went straight to the orphanage.

Today we first had to move all the furniture back into the rooms we had painted yesterday and then put another coat of paint on the Fourier. We also had to paint the two rooms we had not finished from the day before. Painting sucks so I decided to spice things up and make a brand new painting outfit to lift every ones spirits. The shirt I got at a bargain store in the US for 7.00 and the shorts I made out of an old pair of slacks. I use some of the cut off slacks to make a belt as you can see in the picture, very eco friendly by the way.. I will keep you posted on what I do with the rest of the cut off leggings. Anyway we painted and moved furniture all day and finally finished painting the entire visitors quarters. After paint completion we moved all the furniture back into the rooms and put outlet covers back on. Once painting and moving furniture was complete we basically had the visitors quarters all ready to be moved into. The construction manager has to have water brought in and plumbing fixed before we can fully move in.




After work was done on the orphanage today we headed back into town and since work took so long today we got in right when we were set to have diner. Today I used my last can of tuna at lunch… I also didn’t have any corn left or anything else to spice up the diner we receive here at the hotel. I did find 4 oat meal raisin granola bars in my frantic search for tuna before diner though. That definitely was a plus.

For tonight's diner we were getting goat meat instead of the usual chicken. I have eaten goat several other times when I was volunteering in Cap-Haitian and it isn’t that bad. It tastes a lot like beef just a little more chewy. The only thing I don’t like about goat meat is that goats eat anything and everything so its quite possible that the goat that I eat has eaten garbage, rocks, or anything else you can think of. Anyway I only found one small pebble in the goat meat I ate tonight. I made: riceandbeansfriesgoatketcup tonight instead of tunariceandbeansfriesketcupcorn.

After diner James, Dustin and I played a few hands of thirteen and waited for our construction manager Gaston to arrive at the hotel. Once he arrived we had a meeting about the progress of the orphanage and set some deadlines for certain projects to be finished. After the meeting we all headed back to our rooms. Tomorrow we are head to Port-au-Prince to meet with some people, drop James off at the airport, and pick up supplies for the orphanage. We are leaving tomorrow morning at 5AM… More importantly we are missing breakfast… Thankfully I have three of the granola bars left of the four I found this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment