Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 17


Today started at about 7:00AM. I headed to breakfast about 7:15AM without my nutella because it seems I have lost it… The first person I saw when I walked into the breakfast room was Marie and I immediately inquired about getting some spaghetti. She told me 30minute wait and I smiled and said I only have 10minutes, and she smiled back and said tomorrow… I said thanks and walked back to my room and packed for the days work.

We always stop at our usual drink stop on the way to work. I have become fast friends with all the little girls who mothers work at the shop. Yesterday I gave them all paper and color pencils so they could draw pictures.


Today I got to see all of their wonderful art work and gave them more paper and color pencils so they could draw more.




After getting water and ice we headed to the orphanage.

When we first got to the orphanage today I went to the kitchen to have breakfast. Dena had her salami and cheese out and I made a salami and cheese croissant. Today at the orphanage we were painting all the bathrooms in the visitors quarters and administration building. Four bathrooms total, the previous day we had scrubbed the walls to get them for painting. My job was to paint the tops of the walls and paint the trim. I got this job because I am the tallest one in the group thus making me the only one able to reach the ceiling corners and tops of the walls. I hate painting, I especially hate it when its hot and your crammed in a tiny room but my sweet painting outfit helped lighten the mood. It took all the way up until lunch to finish painting.


For lunch today we had popcorn and soda.


Healthy combination I know but the salami and cheese croissant for breakfast was pretty filling. Plus I hadn't made it to the market yet and didn’t bring anything else with me. The popcorn was exceptionally filling, I didn’t mind all the grease and would actually welcome more grease and/or butter. After lunch I took my usual nap, today I took a 45 minute nap instead of a 30 minute nap. I felt as though I had worked extra hard painting and deserved 15 more minutes of sleep. After napping I joined the rest of the group and we painted the doors of the visitors quarters and admin building. After we finished painting we cleaned up and headed to the market then back to the hotel. At the market I bought corn, tuna, gatorade, a can of pringles, and a big pack of Duetto’s cookies.

We got back to the hotel about 4PM. The time we were suppose to eat diner. I went to my room and changed and grabbed a few of my new snacks to add to diner. We played a couple hands of thirteen before diner finally arrived. Tonight for diner I had: Tunariceandbeansfriesketcupcorn. Just how I like it, My mood normally fluctuates through out the day, when I have food I am the happiest and the in the hour or two before getting food I can be somewhat of a grouch. I was happy to have tuna back in my diet.

After diner I headed back to my room to do some cleaning. I was expecting to have been moved out of the hotel by now and into the visitors quarters at the orphanage but we don’t have water at the orphanage yet. So I have been letting my room become a bit of a mess thinking that this might be my last day here at the hotel. So because of this I needed to do some cleaning. I’m not a big cleaner but my room needed a good sweeping. After cleaning my room I took a shower and will head to bed soon. I am a little over the half way point for my time here in Haiti this month and I am extremely tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment