Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Haitian Experience


The trip overall was an eye opening experience for me about what is important in life. Witnessing all the problems and challenges Haitians face was over whelming but the thing I appreciated the most was despite all the obstacles these people face, they are still happy. They still have a great appreciation for life. Some of this can be attributed to the fact that typical Haitians don't understand what its like to have cleaning running water, food to eat everyday, free public education, paved roads, garbage systems, health care, and many other benefits we have here in the US. Living in poverty is something that is normal to them. While taking it all in I asked myself, "What if I grew up here, in the situations many Haitians live in?" I first thought, "I would be miserable, I would hate life, I don't know what I would do." But I soon came to the realization that I wouldn't know anything different. I wouldn't know what its like to get free education, or having running water in my house. So I feel as though I still would try to be happy despite growing up in poverty, like many Haitians are today.

The trip also made me look at myself and the things I feel are important in life. It makes you feel a bit guilty being American when you travel to a country with a high level of poverty. I'm very thankful for being raised in a well established country that has given me many opportunities to live a comfortable life. I still to this day feel guilty and sick when I look into my closet and see all the clothes I have because I have met people who only posses the clothes they wear on their back. Going to restaurants or buffets I sometimes think about the people in Haiti that haven't eaten in a few days or only ate one small meal of rice and beans for the day. Reflecting on the trip I now feel as though I now know what is important in life and what makes me happy in life. Being able to give to those who are less fortunate than yourself, and being able to have an impact in the lives of others are two things that are more than ever a great importance to me. Whether it be here in America or abroad in Haiti having a positive impact on someones life is important. Overall the trip was a life changing experience for me. It has helped me clearly identify what I want to do with my life and know what is important to me as a person.

Again so many people to thank. I would like to thank David and Sarah Dirrum for letting me come on the trip and teaching me about the culture of Haiti. Bob Valerius for all the great work he does in running Cap-Haitien Children's Home and the opportunity for me to come and spend time with the kids. All my good friends who donated money and clothing for the children of Cap-Haitien Children's Home. Lastly all the Haitians I met while being in Haiti, these people have really shown me what it means to be happy in life and that material possessions and wealth has nothing to do with happiness.

I encourage anyone who is reading this to donate to the organizations I was able to volunteer with. No donation is too small and these organizations do very good work in helping Haitians.

Cap-Haitien Children's Home: www.swcocada.com/CHCH.html
Bethesda Widows Home: www.swcocada.com/widowsupport.html

No comments:

Post a Comment